John T. Middlemore founded the Children's Emigration Homes, St. Luke's Road, Birmingham. The emigration of children to Canada began in 1873 and the first receiving home was Guthrie Home in London, Ontario. These children were placed around the London area. Before John Middlemore opened the Fairveiw Home in Nova Scota, he also used the facility of Emma Stirling, Hillfoot between 1893 and 1895.
Some 5,000 children came to Canada with Middlemore.